Public Liability Claims

Gordon Legal has experienced Public Liability Claims Lawyers in Melbourne and Geelong.

Slips, trips, falls and other accidents can happen at any time, and when they do, they can lead to serious injuries, costly trips to the doctor and other major inconveniences to your life.

If you’ve been injured in a public place, you may be able to make a claim for compensation. Everyone should be able to expect safety when they’re in a public place. Public liability claims can also involve privately owned properties and places.

Our expert personal injury lawyers are specialists in this field. We have extensive experience in winning compensation for people who have been injured in public liability cases, and can offer our services on a No-Win No-Fee basis, so you don’t have to worry about making payments unless your case is successful.

For us every case is personal

Our Public Liability claims lawyers have decades of experience in handling difficult cases and understand the unique ins and outs of Public Liability claims.

We understand that these incidents can cause considerable stress and inconvenience, which is why we strive to ease your burden by making the legal process as simple as possible for you.

I say to my clients that three things are important. One is to get the best possible result financially, second is to get it in the shortest possible time, and third is that through your relationship with our firm you feel as comfortable as you can.

Peter Gordon

Peter Gordon
Gordon Legal

What type of compensation am I entitled to?

Our public liability lawyers are experts in this field, and can help you navigate the various types of compensation you may be entitled to in your claim. You may be entitled to claim for:

  • Medical and related expenses
  • Pain and suffering damages 
  • Economic loss damages (eg. Loss of wage and loss of opportunity to earn income)
  • Nursing care and care provided by loved ones to you in your recovery.

What sort of claims are covered?

Some of the most common types of public liability claims that we see include slips, trips and falls in either commercial, retail or public places. Sports injuries, injuries on the water, playground accidents and assaults can also be covered by this area of the law.

Any injury which is sustained as a result of a business, local council or venue’s negligence will be considered a public liability claim. Most organisations these days are required by law to hold public liability insurance over their space or property.

Our public liability lawyers can help you understand this process further at any stage of your claim. We have a reputation in fighting for justice for everyday people.

What to do if you think you have a claim:

  1. Report the injury to the business, council or venue as soon as you are able to. If possible, report the injury in writing and keep a copy of the letter or email and any responses you might have received. If the business fills in an incident report form, obtain a copy of this too if possible.
  2. It’s important to write down the address of where your accident or injury occurred. Write down any other relevant details such as the name of the owner, business or council. Take photographs of the area, print a copy of any photographs taken and if applicable jot down an ‘X’ at the exact location of a fall.
  3. ​Record all other details of the incident such as the time of day, the weather and any witnesses’ details that you have obtained.
  4. Report the injury to a doctor as soon as you can, and be sure to give them the full story behind the incident.
  5. ​Keep records of all correspondence (including emails, texts or postal mail) with anyone involved with the incident.
  6. ​Keep all your medical records, note any time you have had off work and keep any receipts for out-of-pocket expenses incurred relating to your injury.


No Win No Fee for Public Liability Claims

Recovering from an unexpected accident or injury is stressful enough without adding the burden of legal fees.

That’s why we can help you get compensation in a public liability claim on a No-Win No-Fee basis. Put simply, unless your case is successful you won’t have to worry about payment.


Chat to one of our Public Liability claims lawyers today in Melbourne and Geelong on 1300 57 25 18

Public liability experts

Victoria Keays

Victoria is an accredited specialist in personal injury law with a particular interest in asbestos litigation. Victoria has over 10 years’ experience in representing those suffering from all forms of asbestos diseases; including mesothelioma, lung cancer, asbestosis and asbestos related pleural disease. Victoria is also passionate about achieving compensation for those afflicted by other occupational diseases, such as silicosis and occupational lung cancer.

Victoria has represented clients in a number of jurisdictions around Australia and has been recognised by Doyle’s Guide as a leading lawyer in the area of Dust Diseases.

Related articles

Injured in a public place?

Have you been injured in a public place? Gordon Legal are the team of legal experts specialising in compensation law and helping individuals to claim what they need to rest and recover from an injury they have sustained in a public place. Our decades ... Read more

Slips and falls explained

We are a team of legal experts who have operated successfully within the personal injury field of law for decades. Gordon Legal are here to help you understand your rights and entitlements with regards to compensation claims for personal injuries. Here ... Read more

Public liability: what medical expenses can I claim?

Medical expenses arising out of a public liability claim can be wide ranging, including expenses that have already been incurred as well as expenses that may arise in the future. Past medical expenses Past medical expenses can be claimed for your injuries.  ... Read more

The importance of photographs for claiming compensation

The old adage “a picture is worth a thousand words” is particularly pertinent for photos that depict the location where you have suffered an injury when claiming compensation through public liability. Injuries in public spaces can happen when we least ... Read more

What happens if you get injured but signed a waiver?

Our team at Gordon Legal has represented thousands of individuals in their claim for costs associated with personal injuries. Often, when a liability waiver has been signed, this can create a lot of legal confusion. Here we have assembled some basic information ... Read more

Injured on a public playground: can I make a claim for compensation?

Accidents can happen when you least expect it. Catherine was at a local playground with her young daughter one afternoon. When her daughter refused to come down off a high platform, Catherine walked up some playground steps to collect her, only to have ... Read more

I have been assaulted by an animal: what do I do?

Animal attacks are the stuff of nightmares. When a seemingly adorable canine suddenly turns into a dangerous predator, it is understandably traumatic. It is important to know that if an animal has attacked you, you may be eligible to a public liability ... Read more

Receipts and information to keep if you are injured

In the aftermath of an accident, your health and wellbeing are undoubtedly your highest priority. However, while seeking the help you need, it is vital that you maintain records of any information that may be relevant to making a public liability claim ... Read more

What is a “Significant Injury”?

Our personal injury lawyers are experts in all kinds of compensation claims, and we handle them on a No Win No Fee basis. If you need advice relating to an injury sustained at work, in a public place or on private property, get in touch with our friendly ... Read more

How long do I have to file a claim?

To help you better understand your rights and entitlements with regards to filing a claim, our team at Gordon Legal have compiled some basic information relating to claims for compensation made under Australian law. Understanding what your rights and ... Read more

Frequently Asked Questions with regard to compensation claims

Is compensation or damages payments taxable? Understanding your rights and entitlements related to compensation, or payments made to cover damages experienced by you, can be a complicated and exhausting learning curve. Gordon Legal are here to help you ... Read more

Why do I need a lawyer?

Lawyers specialise in understanding the law. In the same way that any professional specialises in their chosen field, lawyers specialise in understanding the intricacies and complexities of all types of law governing how our society operates. It’s entirely ... Read more

We are here to help

When you’re ready, give us a call or click on the button below to send us a message. It will go straight to a caring and committed member of our team who will contact you within 24 hours.

Call 1800 21 22 23

contact us
Map of Melbourne office location


Level 22/181 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
1300 59 95 17
Get directions
Map of Geelong office location


183 Moorabool Street
Geelong VIC 3220
(03) 5225 1600
Get directions
Map of Dandenong office location


1/75 Robinson Street
Dandenong VIC 3175
03 9603 3000
Get directions

Don’t forget to register for this free information session.

Business Interruption Insurance and COVID-19

Click Here for More Information

Register for Tuesday 24 August 7:30pm AEST