Public liability

Injured in a public or private space?

If you or someone you care about have been injured in a public or private space, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.

Why trust us to help you?

Some of the most common types of claims we see include slips, trips and falls in commercial, retail or public spots. In addition, sports injuries, injuries on the water, playground accidents and assaults can also have grounds for compensation.

This includes any injury sustained as a result of a business, local council or venue’s negligence. Most organisations these days are required by law to hold public liability insurance over their space or property.

Our lawyers are experts who aren’t afraid to take on tough cases and have a reputation in fighting for justice for everyday people.

I say to my clients that three things are important. One is to get the best possible result financially, second is to get it in the shortest possible time, and third is that through your relationship with our firm you feel as comfortable as you can.

Peter Gordon

Peter Gordon
Gordon Legal

What kind of compensation you may be entitled to:

  • Medical and related expenses
  • Pain and suffering damages 
  • Economic loss damages (wage loss and loss of opportunity to earn income)
  • Nursing care and care provided by loved ones to you in your recovery.

What to do if you think you have a claim:

  1. Report the injury to the business, council or venue as soon as you can.  If possible, report the injury in writing and keep a copy of the letter or email and any responses received. If the business fills in an incident report form, obtain a copy of this document if you can.
  2. If you have been injured, it is important that you write down the address of where the injury happened, any details about the relevant owner, business or council. Take photographs of the area, print a copy of them date them and place an X at the exact location of the fall
  3. ​Record details of the incident such as the time of day, the weather and any witnesses’ details that you have obtained.
  4. Report your injury to a doctor as soon as you can, and make sure you give them the full details of the incident.
  5. ​Keep records of all your correspondence including emails, texts or postal mail with anyone involved with the incident.
  6. ​Keep records of medical treatment, any time off work and receipts for any out-of-pocket expenses relating to the injury.

If you want advice about whether you may have a claim, contact us on 1800 21 22 23 to talk to one of our expert lawyers today.

How much will it cost?

We can help you get the compensation you are entitled to on a no win, no fee basis. 

No win, no fee means for eligible cases, you are not required to pay any costs unless you have a successful matter and you receive compensation.

That means you don’t have the added burden or stress of up-front legal fees. You simply focus on getting better or caring for a loved one and leave the fight to us.

Call us on 1800 21 22 23 for a free initial discussion with one of our lawyers today.

The fine print:

It is important to know, there are strict time limits to commence a public liability claim, which vary under state and commonwealth laws. In Victoria, you have three years from the date of the injury to lodge a claim. There are also thresholds to receive certain categories of compensation.  It is crucial you get good legal advice as soon as possible so you know your rights and entitlement to compensation.

Public liability experts

Rachel Schutze
Rachel Schutze
Principal Lawyer
Rachel Schutze
Principal Lawyer

Rachel is one of Victoria’s leading plaintiff personal injury lawyers. She has achieved significant financial outcomes for plaintiffs in WorkCover actions, and is also experienced in acting for people with injuries that occur in public places or on private property, as well as general insurance claims.
Rachel holds a Masters of Law.  She has a personal and professional commitment to South West Victoria, has served on community Boards for more than a decade and understands the legal needs of injured people.

Rachel is a regular contributor to her hometown paper, the Geelong Advertiser and has been listed by the prestigious Doyle's Guide Awards 2018 as a leading lawyer in WorkCover and Public Liability.

Victoria Keays
Victoria Keays
Principal Lawyer
Victoria Keays
Principal Lawyer

Victoria is an accredited specialist in personal injury law with a particular interest in asbestos litigation. Victoria has over 10 years’ experience in representing those suffering from all forms of asbestos diseases; including mesothelioma, lung cancer, asbestosis and asbestos related pleural disease. Victoria is also passionate about achieving compensation for those afflicted by other occupational diseases, such as silicosis and occupational lung cancer.

Victoria has represented clients in a number of jurisdictions around Australia and has been recognised by Doyle’s Guide as a leading lawyer in the area of Dust Diseases.

Sheri Carolan
Sheri Carolan
Principal Lawyer
Sheri Carolan
Principal Lawyer

Sheri is an Accredited Specialist in personal injury law, with particular expertise in medical negligence, civil liability and workers compensation claims. She has experience acting in complex claims for seriously injured people across various areas of personal injury law. Sheri brings a strong understanding of regional NSW, hailing from Dubbo where she remains an active member of the community. She has won a number of professional awards, including the NSW Young Business Executive of the Year in 2017.

We are here to help

When you’re ready, give us a call or click on the button below to send us a message. It will go straight to a caring and committed member of our team who will contact you within 24 hours.

Call 1800 21 22 23

contact us
Map of Melbourne office location


Level 22/181 William Street
Melbourne Vic, 3000 Australia
1800 21 22 23
Get directions
Map of Feelong office location


183 Moorabool Street
Geelong Vic, 3220 Australia
(03) 5225 1600
Get directions
Map of Sydney office location


Level 6, 111 Elizabeth Street
Sydney NSW, 2000 Australia
1800 21 22 23
Get directions