- The type of information we collect and hold
In order to provide you with initial advice and during the conduct of your matter, we will obtain your personal information, which may include but is not limited to:
- Your name, date of birth and contact details;
- Information regarding your occupation;
- Health information;
- Information regarding your family situation; and
Your criminal history.
We will obtain your authority prior to requesting any health or financial information about you.
- How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in a number of ways including but not limited to:
- During face to face meetings;
- During telephone conversations;
- From our website and the internet; and
- From third parties such as insurance providers, government agencies, medical practitioners and other organisations.
- How we hold personal information
We hold personal information in confidential paper and electronic files.
We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that your personal information is not accessed by unauthorised parties or lost.
- The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information in a number of ways including but not limited to:
- To assess inquiries, to provide legal advice;
- To progress a legal claim;
- To obtain litigation funding;
- To meet our legal obligations; and
- To conduct marketing.
Although it is your right not to provide personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the relevant legal service without it.
- How you may access your personal information and seek correction of it
It is your right to access your personal information subject to limited restrictions. It is also your right to seek that your personal information be corrected. Please contact our Privacy Officer, Kerri O’Toole, on (03) 9603 3000 or at firstname.lastname@example.org to make that request.
- Making a complaint
If you believe that we have breached our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) please contact our Privacy Officer, Kerri O’Toole, on (03) 9603 3000 or at email@example.com and we will respond to you within 14 days. If you believe that we have not resolved your complaint within a reasonable time, you may refer your complaint to the Australian Privacy Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or www.oaic.gov.au.
- Whether we are likely to disclose personal information to overseas recipients
In some instances, we may consult experts overseas during the conduct of your matter. We may also seek litigation funding from overseas based companies. In those instances, we may disclose your personal information to those experts or organisations.