Skip to content

We understand the emotional impact that often arises from a relationship breakdown and we provide pragmatic, honest and personalised advice to each client.

We also understand the complex legal issues that can arise and will provide expert advice and options to assist our clients navigate their family law settlement, with a focus on negotiating a settlement out-of-court if possible. However, if court proceedings are necessary, we will guide our clients through the Court process to achieve the best possible outcome.

We recognise the financial repercussions when relationships break down and focus on timely, cost effective resolutions to help our client’s avoid unnecessary expense.

We charge our fees based on the time spent working on matters. We also understand that it may not be easy to find the money to pay legal fees, and in some circumstances we can offer deferred payment options and payment plans. We can speak to you about these options at your first appointment.

When you find yourself needing a Family Law expert, you want someone with the combined empathy and experience to see you through this tough time. Our team are here because they’re the best, and because they care.

Experience Matters

We are experienced in all aspects of family law and provide services in:

  • Divorce
  • Property settlements
  • Spousal maintenance
  • Binding financial agreements
  • Children and parenting
  • Child support
  • Relocation, travel and passport issues for children
  • Out of court settlements and mediation
  • Intervention orders and family violence matters

Our People

Kelly Leydon is a senior lawyer and recognised as an accredited specialist in family law.

Kelly has a broad range of experience helping clients in all facets of family law, including property and parenting matters, child support, spousal maintenance, financial agreements and de facto relationship matters. She has also helped LGBTI families, grandparents and other significant people in children’s lives through the family law process.

Kelly has an empathetic and understanding approach to her clients and listens to their objectives. She understands the importance of ensuring her clients fully understand the legal process and how it relates to them, and is committed to providing sensible and realistic advice that is efficient and cost effective.

Kelly has a Law degree (LLB) from Deakin University and has been accredited as a Specialist in Family Law by the Law Institute of Victoria.

In her previous role Kelly assisted hundreds of clients through their relationship break down and has a focus on trying to achieve settlements through negotiation rather than litigation where ever possible. However, where litigation is necessary, Kelly is able to draw on her many years of experience to guide clients through the Court process to achieve a successful outcome.

Kelly is an avid supporter of the Union movement and is a member of the ASU. She follows in the footsteps of her brother and other family members who also tirelessly work within the trade union movement.

Kelly’s aim for all of her clients to is navigate them through the family law process as swiftly and efficiently as possible with an understanding that a relationship breakdown is for many people a very difficult, and at times, stressful period.

Kelly has chosen to work at Gordon Legal in the belief the firm will offer clients access to the best quality and cost efficient legal service in all areas of law.

Kelly Leydon

As a family lawyer it is important to me that I am approachable, down to earth and empathetic with people who need advice and guidance through what is, for most, one of the most difficult times they will go through in their lifetime. Navigating a family law settlement and understanding the law can be stressful and confusing, and it is my job to alleviate that stress and deal with the legal issues so my clients don’t need to worry about them.


Family Law

1.  You should make a note of the date you separate from your spouse as this date will be important for your Application for Divorce (for married spouses) and the time limits to commence property settlement proceedings (for defacto couples). It may also be an important date when you are negotiating a settlement.

2.  You should collate your relevant financial information such as income tax returns, bank statements, superannuation statements, and any other documents that may be relevant regarding your assets and debts that would assist with your property settlement; and keep a diary of all significant events regarding your children and parenting matters.

3.  We would recommend that you obtain advice from a lawyer shortly after your separation so you understand how the law applies in your particular circumstances to help you have discussions with your former partner directly (if possible) or through family dispute resolution to try and reach an amicable agreement.

It is necessary for parties to participate in family dispute resolution to try and reach an agreement about parenting arrangements for their children and the division of the assets of the relationship before an application can be made to the Court. There are some exceptions to this requirement, such as the application is made in circumstances of urgency: there are reasonable grounds to believe a child or one of the parties to the proceedings has been abused or is at risk of abuse, or there has been family violence or a risk of family violence to one of the parties.

It is not be necessary to attend family dispute resolution if a party is seeking to enforce a Court Order or there has been a contravention of a parenting order. We can assist you with recommendations to family dispute resolution services, or determine if any of the exemptions apply to you.

We would recommend that you seek advice before attending family dispute resolution so you understand your rights and entitlements. If you can reach an agreement at family dispute resolution, we can assist you to formalise the agreement into a binding document. It is important to note that any agreement reached at family dispute resolution is not binding until you have either obtained a Consent Order from the Court or entered into a Binding Financial Agreement.

Once parties reach an agreement regarding the division of their property after separation, it is important to have the settlement formalised by either a Court Order or a Binding Financial Agreement.

Sometimes people will simply write up an informal agreement at home and sign it. However, without either a Court Order or Financial Agreement, any agreement you reach will not be binding or enforceable. This means that either party can seek to renegotiate the agreement, or make an application to the Court for a property settlement at a later date. This can lead to the burden of legal costs and the stress of dealing with a Court proceeding for a property settlement, sometimes many years after you separated.

Having an agreement formalised once you reach a settlement is highly recommended and will alleviate any concerns about a settlement being challenged at a later date (other than in exceptional circumstances). It will also give you the comfort of being able to deal with any assets in the knowledge that a settlement with a former partner has been dealt with.

Arrangements regarding your children do not necessarily need to be by way of a formal binding agreement if both parties can make amicable arrangements for the children. However there will be occasions when having a Court Order regarding the parenting arrangements for your children may be required, or a sensible way of dealing with the arrangements so there is no doubt about when the children will spend time with both of their parents or other significant people in their lives. We would recommend that parties seek advice about these matters.

Superannuation is considered an asset of a relationship and it is included in the pool of assets to be divided between the parties at separation. Superannuation in an industry superannuation fund can be ‘split’ between the party’s respective superannuation funds.

A self-managed superannuation fund can also be divided between parties, but there may be other important issues to consider regarding a self-managed superannuation fund that owns assets such as real estate.

It is important to obtain advice about your superannuation and how it may be dealt with as part of a settlement before you finalise an agreement with your former partner.

The above information is related to claims in Victoria. For claims outside the state, please contact our office for specific information as potential claims and time frames vary from state to state.

What our customers say

How to get started


Contact Us

We will be in touch within 1 business day if you email. Or you can call 1800 21 22 23, 9am-5pm, Monday – Friday


Meet Us

We can assist you anywhere in Victoria. We can travel to you, or we can talk via Zoom or over the phone.


Instruct us

We listen until we understand, and quickly provide the best advice so you can make a well-informed decision.


Get in touch with our team

We are here to help

When you’re ready, give us a call or click on the button below to send us a message. It will go straight to a caring and committed member of our team who will contact you within 24 hours.

enquire-btnEnquire now phone-btn1800 21 22 23