MEDIA RELEASE – 2 July 2021
QBE Class Action
- Gordon Legal has commenced a class action on behalf of QBE policyholders who have had their business interruption insurance claims denied.
Lloyds Class Action (Jewellers and Gem Merchants)
- Gordon Legal has commenced a further class action on behalf of gem and jewellery merchants who hold business interruption insurance policies with underwriters at Lloyds of London, who have also had their claims denied.
2nd July, 2021: Small and medium business who have their COVID-related business interruption claims rejected by QBE and Lloyds of London have today launched two class actions through leading Australian law firm, Gordon Legal:
Both class actions have been commenced in the Federal Court of Australia.
The two class actions are supported by one of the world’s leading litigation funders, Omni Bridgeway.
Gordon Legal believes the class action group members are entitled to compensation as the Insurers have wrongly rejected claims from struggling businesses on the basis that their business interruption insurance policies do not cover pandemics.
Speaking about the launch of the proceedings, Andrew Grech, Partner at Gordon Legal commented, “We believe that the insurers have wrongly denied claims to thousands of businesses and failed to support them when they needed it most. Accessing the payout that we believe they are entitled to will mean the difference between survival and failure of many businesses.
“We are launching these two class actions because we believe that the best chance businesses have to recoup what is rightfully theirs, is through the strength in numbers a class action delivers. We think insurers are taking every legal option open to them to slow down the process and avoid settling claims.”
We encourage all policyholders to lodge a claim with their insurer and seek legal advice, even if their brokers and insurers discourage them from doing so.”
Policyholders of both Lloyds of London and QBE can check eligibility and membership of the group by contacting Gordon Legal. In particularly those meeting the following criteria are urged to seek advice:
- Those who held business interruption insurance with QBE during the Covid-19 Pandemic in any type of business; or
- Jewellers and gem merchants who held business interruption insurance with underwriters at Lloyds of London during the Covid-19 Pandemic; and
- Lloyds of London and QBE business interruption policyholders who suffered interruption to their business as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic;
Gordon Legal is also investigating potential class actions against other insurers and is urging those with business interruption insurance policies to register their interest.
Further details are available on the Gordon Legal website https://gordonlegal.com.au/business-interruption-claims-class-action-investigation/
For media enquiries:
t: 0452 069 936