TAC Lawyers

Do you need a TAC lawyer for your road-related injury?

Our TAC lawyers are experienced and compassionate professionals who understand that when you’ve been injured in a road accident, life can get turned upside down. We know that your health is the number one priority, and no one wants to be dealing with complex legal issues when they’re trying to recover.

We’re here to help you through this challenging time by obtaining compensation from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). We’ll talk straight with you about your claim and answer any questions you have about the process along the way.

The TAC will pay compensation to road users who are injured while travelling in a car, train, tram, bus or as a cyclist, motorcyclist or a pedestrian. The TAC also pays compensation if someone dies as a result of a road accident.

Your TAC lawyer can help explain compensation for:

  • Medical and related expenses
  • Loss of income
  • Lump sum impairment
  • Pain and suffering damages
  • Loss of wages
  • A death or dependency claim.

Some compensation under the TAC scheme can be accessed on a no-fault basis, so it doesn’t matter who caused or contributed to your injury.

Road users have a duty of care to each other. If they are breached, and you have sustained a serious injury, you may be entitled to pursue compensation for your pain and suffering, and loss of income.

Medical and related expenses may include things like:

  • Medical services
  • Hospital services
  • Rehabilitation services
  • Ambulance services
  • Nursing services
  • Physiotherapy, chiropractic, osteopathy treatment
  • Medication
  • Equipment
  • Psychological/psychiatric services
  • Counselling
  • Household/home help services such as cleaning and gardening
  • Accommodation support
  • Travel expenses and
  • Funeral expenses.

What to do if you think you have a claim:

  1. Report the accident to the police or public transport operator
  2. Obtain the details of the other driver
  3. Obtain the details of any witnesses
  4. Take photographs of the damage to all vehicles involved in the accident on your smart phone
  5. Take photographs on your smartphone of your location, the resting position of all vehicles involved in the accident and your surrounds
  6. Contact the TAC to lodge a claim for any injuries you have sustained in the accident
  7. Make a free appointment with one of our TAC lawyers so you get expert advice on what your entitlements are – obligation free.

For us every case is personal.

Your TAC lawyer will help you with advice regarding your rights and entitlements. We will prepare your case, you will be kept up to date on the progress of your claim and we will secure you the best possible compensation as quickly as possible.

What if you have lost income?

If you can’t work as a result of the injuries you suffered in an accident, you may be entitled to loss of income payments from the TAC. It is worth noting the TAC does not pay for the first 5 days you are off work. You should claim personal leave for this period. After the first 5 days, they pay 80% of your pre injury earnings, capped at a maximum amount.

Loss of income payments are usually paid for the first 18 months to a wage earner, if you are unable to work as a result of the injuries from an accident. After this, you may be eligible for further loss of earning capacity benefits.

To claim loss of income benefits, you will need a TAC Certificate of Capacity from your doctor.

In deciding whether you are entitled to loss of income payments, the TAC will generally look at your employment history and income over the last two years.

Other common types of claims include:

  • Lump Sum Impairment Claim
  • Common Law/Negligence Claim
  • Death/Dependency Claims.

Time limits on claims in Victoria:

  • The law requires you to lodge a claim strictly within 12 months from the date of your accident.
  • If your claim is lodged outside the 12-month period, the TAC has a discretion to consider your claim if it is lodged within 3 years.
  • To pursue a lump sum claim for an impairment benefit, you only have 6 years from the date of your accident.
  • To pursue a lump sum claim for a Common Law claim you only have 6 years from the date of your accident.
  • If you receive an adverse decision from the TAC that you do not agree with you have 12 months to appeal the decision.
  • Examples of an adverse decision include, the denial of your claim, denial or cessation of your entitlements to medical and related expenses or income benefits, the rate or frequency of payments and the level of impairment determined.

Get in touch with us today on 
1300 58 46 26.

If you want more information on the TAC visit: www.tac.vic.gov.au  

Related articles

Making a claim for compensation with the TAC

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) is the government body established to assist in the management of claims for injuries sustained as a result of a motor car, motorcycle, bus, train, tram or pedestrian accident. The TAC exists to help you recover ... Read more

Top tips for lodging claims with TAC

When you’ve been injured on the road you may be eligible to claim TAC compensation. This can be a tricky area of the law, but our expert lawyers specialise in this field. Though it can seem like a daunting process, we are here to help and able to make ... Read more

Motor vehicle accidents: texting and driving.

Are you driving? Put your phone away. Today, TAC launched a confronting campaign targeting texting motorists. Using a mobile phone while driving is distracting, increasing your chance of being involved in a crash. With Victoria’s road death toll already ... Read more

FAQ: TAC Claims Victoria

Contact one of our experienced road accident lawyers to discuss your TAC claim today. I’ve been injured in a road accident. What do I do next? If you have been injured in a road accident in Victoria, you may be able to make a TAC claim. At the time ... Read more

Motor Vehicle Claims: Seatbelt Safety

Seatbelt safety in Victoria is more important than ever before: the rising number of road accident deaths in Victoria has been linked with an increase in drivers failing to wear seatbelts on the roads. As of May 2019, road accident deaths in Victoria ... Read more

What benefits are available if I make a TAC claim in Victoria?

Benefits resulting from a TAC claim usually include reimbursement or coverage for the costs relating to an injury sustained during a transport incident or accident. We have assembled some basic information relating to TAC benefits here but if you have ... Read more

If the car accident is my fault, do I have any entitlements in Victoria?

Suffering the effects of a car accident can be a very distressing time, particularly if you were found to be at fault and the car accident was caused by you. There are lot of causes for car accidents and the Australian law accounts for these with regards ... Read more

What happens if I am injured in a motor vehicle accident in Victoria whilst working?

If you are an employee or an independent contractor and you have been involved in a car accident, then we have compiled some basic information here which may help you to understand your rights and responsibilities and how you may be liable for, or entitled ... Read more

Frequently Asked Questions with regard to compensation claims

Is compensation or damages payments taxable? Understanding your rights and entitlements related to compensation, or payments made to cover damages experienced by you, can be a complicated and exhausting learning curve. Gordon Legal are here to help you ... Read more

Why do I need a lawyer?

Lawyers specialise in understanding the law. In the same way that any professional specialises in their chosen field, lawyers specialise in understanding the intricacies and complexities of all types of law governing how our society operates. It’s entirely ... Read more

Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers: How can we reduce the rise in road fatalities?

Road accident fatalities in Victoria are at an all-time high. The statistics have increased 60.7% from this time last year. The TAC has recorded 143 deaths in 2019 so far - a stark comparison to 89 deaths reported in June 2018.  What is the reason for ... Read more

TAC Lawyers Welcome Road to Zero Program and a New Generation of Safe Drivers

TAC lawyers across the state are welcoming the introduction of a world first education program in Victoria. Museums Victoria have joined forces with the TAC to create the education complex Road to Zero, aimed towards high school students, which hopes ... Read more

Rory’s law: improving rights for cyclists on Victoria’s roads

Rory’s law: improving rights for cyclists in Victoria Cyclists are particularly vulnerable on our roads, however in 2018, a Victorian farmer used his own tragic cycling accident to campaign for an important change in Victorian law which renders all cyclists ... Read more

Concerns for Cyclist Safety Along Melbourne’s Busiest Roads

The TAC encourages all cyclists who have been injured in a road accident to lodge a TAC claim as concerns for cyclist safety come to a head. A recent report reveals the number of road accidents involving cyclists is staggeringly high, particularly along ... Read more

TAC claims outside of the 6-year period

Nathan’s story: Settling a TAC claim outside of the limitation period Limitation periods are no doubt the last thing on your mind when your life, or that of a loved one, has been turned upside down as a result of a road accident. Victorian law requires ... Read more

Road accident experts

Jenny Forti

Jenny is an accredited specialist in personal injury law. She is dedicated to representing injured people in their fight to access compensation.

Jenny is committed to upholding the values of the union movement and applies her legal skills to the wider community through her role as a volunteer lawyer at West Justice.

In December 2018, Jenny was appointed to the Western Health Foundation Board. She is a passionate supporter of the mighty Western Bulldogs.

Anastasia Eleftheriou

Anastasia is an accredited specialist in personal injury law. She has had over 15 years’ experience in Workers’ Compensation fighting for the rights of injured workers against large companies and insurance agents. She also acts on behalf for many seriously injured people involved in motor vehicle accidents in Victoria. One of the most rewarding aspects of her job is acting for people who need help during one of the most difficult periods in her life. She is committed to fighting for people’s rights whether it’s for a lump sum compensation or fighting for the right of their medical expenses to be paid for.

Anastasia currently sits on the Law Institute of Victoria, Transport Accident Committee and Workers Compensation Committee.

We are here to help

When you’re ready, give us a call or click on the button below to send us a message. It will go straight to a caring and committed member of our team who will contact you within 24 hours.

Call 1800 21 22 23

contact us
Map of Melbourne office location


Level 22/181 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
1300 59 95 17
Get directions
Map of Geelong office location


183 Moorabool Street
Geelong VIC 3220
(03) 5225 1600
Get directions
Map of Dandenong office location


1/75 Robinson Street
Dandenong VIC 3175
03 9603 3000
Get directions

Don’t forget to register for this free information session.

Business Interruption Insurance and COVID-19

Click Here for More Information

Register for Tuesday 24 August 7:30pm AEST