Car Accident Lawyers

At Gordon Legal, our car accident lawyers in Melbourne and Geelong can help you make your claim successfully.

If you or someone you care about is injured in a road accident, life can be turned upside down. The ability to focus on your recovery can be difficult when you are faced with trauma and financial uncertainty.

We are here to assist you through this challenging time by obtaining compensation from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). The TAC will pay compensation to road users who are injured while travelling in a car, train, tram or bus, or as a cyclist, motorcyclist or a pedestrian. The TAC also pays compensation if someone dies as a result of a road accident.

We know when you’ve been in a car accident (or any road accident) that going through the claims process can seem daunting or overwhelming. We have experienced, friendly professionals with a comprehensive understanding of the TAC’s complexities, and the expertise needed to achieve the compensation you deserve.

No Win No Fee

Our car accident lawyers can help you with your claim for compensation on a No-Win No-Fee basis.

This means that we will meet with you, investigate your case and provide you with advice without any cost or obligation.

It also means that if we offer to act for you, and you take us up on this offer, you will not be responsible for any up-front legal fees until the end of the claim. 

Your TAC lawyer will talk you through the No-Win No-Fee costs structure when you meet.

You can be as involved as you want to be – we’ll keep you in the loop when you need to be, and leave the jargon out of your way so you can focus on what matters most to you.

What sort of compensation am I entitled to?

  • Medical and related expenses
  • Loss of income
  • Lump sum impairment
  • Pain and suffering damages
  • Loss of wages
  • A death or dependency claim.

Some compensation under the TAC scheme can be accessed on a no-fault basis, so it doesn’t matter who caused or contributed to your injury.

Road users have a duty of care to each other. If they are breached, and you have sustained a serious injury, you may be entitled to pursue compensation for your pain and suffering, and loss of income.

Medical and related expenses may include things like:

  • Medical services
  • Hospital services
  • Rehabilitation services
  • Ambulance services
  • Nursing services
  • Physiotherapy, chiropractic, osteopathy treatment
  • Medication
  • Equipment
  • Psychological/psychiatric services
  • Counselling
  • Household/home help services such as cleaning and gardening
  • Accommodation support
  • Travel expenses and
  • Funeral expenses.

What to do if you think you have a claim:

  • Report the accident to the police or public transport operator
  • Take down the details of the other driver
  • Take down details of any witnesses to your accident/injury
  • Take photographs of the damage to all vehicles involved in the accident
  • If you can, take photos of your location, the resting position of all vehicles involved in the accident and your surrounds
  • Seek Medical treatment for any injuries you believe you suffered in the accident
  • Contact the TAC to lodge a claim for any injuries you have sustained in the accident
  • Make a free appointment with one of our TAC lawyers so you get expert advice on what your entitlements are – obligation free

Why do I need a lawyer after my car accident (or other transport accident)?

Applying for compensation through the TAC can be complex. Some TAC claims can seem straightforward, others - not.

The claims process can be frustrating and difficult to navigate on your own. It is incredibly valuable to have an expert personal injury lawyer on your side.

At Gordon Legal, our TAC lawyers are highly experienced with these claims for compensation and can guide you through any questions you may have about your claim, and, of course, ensure you achieve the best compensation outcome you can possibly achieve.

We can also explain to you the potential benefits available to you through the TAC’s No-Fault scheme, which can support you financially through your recovery, and compensate you beyond.

How do I lodge my claim?

If you were taken to hospital for an injury following a transport accident, the hospital may have completed and lodged a claim on your behalf. If you signed a claim form then you can expect that your TAC claim has been lodged by the hospital and submitted to the TAC.

If you were not taken to hospital or did not fill out a claim form, you can make your TAC Claim by contacting the TAC directly on 1300 654 329, which incurs local call costs, or on 1800 332 556, which is a toll free number for anyone outside the Melbourne metropolitan area.

Other FAQs

How do I get compensation from a car accident?

  • Lodging your claim with the TAC
  • If you have suffered an injury or injuries as a result of the accident, you should see your doctor for any possible treatment you require
  • Speak to a lawyer

What is the TAC?

The Transport Accident Commission or TAC is the Victorian state government body responsible for managing injury claims made by people who have sustained an injury as a result of a motor vehicle, motorcycle, bus, train, tram or pedestrian accident in Victoria.

Who can make a TAC claim?

If you have sustained an injury due to a car or transport accident, then you may be entitled to receive benefits from the TAC either covering the entirety of your medical expenses or, at least, some of the ongoing support you require to help you recover.

What compensation am I entitled to?

If your claim is accepted, the TAC can provide compensation for your injuries. Compensation may be in the form of reimbursements for reasonable medical expenses, and payments for any time off work you need as a result of your injury. You may also be able to claim a lump sum payment as compensation if you have suffered a permanent injury.

The TAC also pays compensation if someone dies as a result of a road accident.

If you were admitted to hospital as a result of your road accident, or if your accident occurred after 14 February 2018, the TAC will cover your reasonable medical expenses immediately.

How much compensation can I claim after a car accident?

If you have suffered injury as a result of an accident, the TAC can cover a range of entitlements including medical expenses, loss of income (earning payments) and possible lump sum claims, namely impairment benefit and possibly a claim in negligence if the other driver(s) were at fault for the accident

Why should I lodge a TAC claim?

We understand that being involved in a road or transport accident is extremely traumatic. If you have sustained an injury, an accepted TAC claim will mean you are entitled to claim important compensation for your injury.

By lodging a TAC claim, you are starting the process towards receiving important payments that are often vital for getting your life back on track, and getting the crucial treatment you may require.

What happens after I lodge my TAC claim?

You’ll be sent a Claim for Compensation Summary and any relevant forms, such as an Authority to Release Information form by the TAC. You should complete the form and return it as soon as possible to avoid any delays in your claim being accepted. 

The TAC will decide to accept, deny or seek further information for your claim within 21 days of receiving it.

How long after a car accident can you claim in Victoria?

You have 12 months from the date of your accident to lodge a claim, but the TAC has the discretion to accept a claim within three years.

What happens in a car accident without insurance?

You are still covered by the TAC if you have suffered an injury as a result of an accident including medical expenses, loss of income and possible lump sum claims.

What happens in a car accident if the car is not registered?

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident in an unregistered motor vehicle at the time of the accident, TAC can still cover you if the vehicle was capable of registration.

What happens if I am involved in a car accident interstate? Am I covered?

If your accident occurred interstate in a Victorian registered vehicle, you are still eligible to lodge a TAC claim.

What to do if this information applies to you

At Gordon Legal, we understand that TAC claims are a personal issue.

For personalised and individual advice, we offer consultations to discuss your matter.

Please call Gordon Legal on (03) 9603 3000 or our Geelong office on 03 5225 1600 to speak with a member of our team.

Given the current environment, we are providing consultations over the phone, Zoom, WebEx or Skype.

If you have any questions relating to a car or road accident and want to speak to one of our TAC lawyers, call us on 1300 58 46 26.

Road accident experts

Jenny Forti

Jenny is an accredited specialist in personal injury law. She is dedicated to representing injured people in their fight to access compensation.

Jenny is committed to upholding the values of the union movement and applies her legal skills to the wider community through her role as a volunteer lawyer at West Justice.

In December 2018, Jenny was appointed to the Western Health Foundation Board. She is a passionate supporter of the mighty Western Bulldogs.

Anastasia Eleftheriou

Anastasia is an accredited specialist in personal injury law. She has had over 15 years’ experience in Workers’ Compensation fighting for the rights of injured workers against large companies and insurance agents. She also acts on behalf for many seriously injured people involved in motor vehicle accidents in Victoria. One of the most rewarding aspects of her job is acting for people who need help during one of the most difficult periods in her life. She is committed to fighting for people’s rights whether it’s for a lump sum compensation or fighting for the right of their medical expenses to be paid for.

Anastasia currently sits on the Law Institute of Victoria, Transport Accident Committee and Workers Compensation Committee.

Related articles

Car Accident Lawyer advises on what to do after a car accident fault or no fault

By Anastasia Eleftheriou, Principal Lawyer and Accredited Specialist, Personal Injury Law If you have been injured in a car accident, regardless of who is at fault, you are entitled to compensation. Our Car Accident Lawyer advises on next steps if you ... Read more

car in the rain.jpg

Motorcycle accident compensation: an injury lawyer’s advice

By Anastasia Eleftheriou, Principal Lawyer and Accredited Specialist, Personal Injury Law  If you or someone you care about is injured in a motorcycle accident, life can be turned upside down. The ability to focus on your recovery can be difficult when ... Read more


TAC claims advice from a car accident lawyer, and the implications of not following COVID-19 restrictions

By Anastasia Eleftheriou, Principal Lawyer and Accredited Specialist, Personal Injury Law  During COVID-19, TAC claims continue to be processed. There are certain factors that will work against your eligibility though – if you are not observing social ... Read more


TAC Claims and Coronavirus (COVID-19)

By Anastasia Eleftheriou, Principal Lawyer, Accredited Specialist in Injury Law department, Gordon Legal On 12 March 2020, the World Health Organisation declared COVID-19 a pandemic. Since then, the federal and state governments have placed restrictions ... Read more

Making a claim for compensation with the TAC

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) is the government body established to assist in the management of claims for injuries sustained as a result of a motor car, motorcycle, bus, train, tram or pedestrian accident. The TAC exists to help you recover ... Read more

Top tips for lodging claims with TAC

When you’ve been injured on the road you may be eligible to claim TAC compensation. This can be a tricky area of the law, but our expert lawyers specialise in this field. Though it can seem like a daunting process, we are here to help and able to make ... Read more

Motor vehicle accidents: texting and driving.

Are you driving? Put your phone away. Today, TAC launched a confronting campaign targeting texting motorists. Using a mobile phone while driving is distracting, increasing your chance of being involved in a crash. With Victoria’s road death toll already ... Read more

What benefits are available if I make a TAC claim in Victoria?

Benefits resulting from a TAC claim usually include reimbursement or coverage for the costs relating to an injury sustained during a transport incident or accident. We have assembled some basic information relating to TAC benefits here but if you have ... Read more

If the car accident is my fault, do I have any entitlements in Victoria?

Suffering the effects of a car accident can be a very distressing time, particularly if you were found to be at fault and the car accident was caused by you. There are lot of causes for car accidents and the Australian law accounts for these with regards ... Read more

What happens if I am injured in a motor vehicle accident in Victoria whilst working?

If you are an employee or an independent contractor and you have been involved in a car accident, then we have compiled some basic information here which may help you to understand your rights and responsibilities and how you may be liable for, or entitled ... Read more

Frequently Asked Questions with regard to compensation claims

Is compensation or damages payments taxable? Understanding your rights and entitlements related to compensation, or payments made to cover damages experienced by you, can be a complicated and exhausting learning curve. Gordon Legal are here to help you ... Read more

TAC Lawyers - why do I need one?

Do you need a TAC lawyer for your road-related injury? Our TAC lawyers are experienced and compassionate professionals who understand that when you’ve been injured in a road accident, life can get turned upside down. We know that your health is the number ... Read more

FAQ: TAC Claims Victoria

Contact one of our experienced road accident lawyers to discuss your TAC claim today. I’ve been injured in a road accident. What do I do next? If you have been injured in a road accident in Victoria, you may be able to make a TAC claim. At the time ... Read more

Motor Vehicle Claims: Seatbelt Safety

Seatbelt safety in Victoria is more important than ever before: the rising number of road accident deaths in Victoria has been linked with an increase in drivers failing to wear seatbelts on the roads. As of May 2019, road accident deaths in Victoria ... Read more

Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers: How can we reduce the rise in road fatalities?

Road accident fatalities in Victoria are at an all-time high. The statistics have increased 60.7% from this time last year. The TAC has recorded 143 deaths in 2019 so far - a stark comparison to 89 deaths reported in June 2018.  What is the reason for ... Read more

We are here to help

When you’re ready, give us a call or click on the button below to send us a message. It will go straight to a caring and committed member of our team who will contact you within 24 hours.

Call 1800 21 22 23

contact us
Map of Melbourne office location


Level 22/181 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
1300 59 95 17
Get directions
Map of Geelong office location


183 Moorabool Street
Geelong VIC 3220
(03) 5225 1600
Get directions
Map of Dandenong office location


1/75 Robinson Street
Dandenong VIC 3175
03 9603 3000
Get directions

Don’t forget to register for this free information session.

Business Interruption Insurance and COVID-19

Click Here for More Information

Register for Tuesday 24 August 7:30pm AEST