Car Accident Lawyers

At Gordon Legal, our Car Accident Lawyers in Melbourne and Geelong can help you make your claim successfully

Road Accidents

Injured on the road?

If you or someone you care about is injured in a road accident, life can be turned upside down. The ability to focus on your recovery can be difficult when you are faced with trauma and financial uncertainty.

We are here to assist you through this challenging time by obtaining compensation from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). The TAC will pay compensation to road users who are injured while travelling in a car, train, tram, bus or as a cyclist, motorcyclist or a pedestrian. The TAC also pays compensation if someone dies as a result of a road accident.

We know when you’ve been in a car accident (or any road accident) that going through the claims process can seem daunting or overwhelming. We have experienced, friendly professionals with a comprehensive understanding of the TAC’s complexities, and the expertise needed to achieve the compensation you deserve.

No Win No Fee

Our car accident lawyers can help you with your claim for compensation on a No-Win No-Fee basis.

This means that we will meet with you, investigate your case and provide you with advice without any cost or obligation.

It also means that if we offer to act for you, and you take us up on this offer, you will not be responsible for any up-front legal fees until the end of the claim. 

Your TAC lawyer will talk you through the No-Win No-Fee costs structure when you meet.

You can be as involved as you want to be – we’ll keep you in the loop when you need to be, and leave the jargon out of your way so you can focus on what matters most to you.

What sort of compensation am I entitled to?

  • Medical and related expenses
  • Loss of income
  • Lump sum impairment
  • Pain and suffering damages
  • Loss of wages
  • A death or dependency claim.

Some compensation under the TAC scheme can be accessed on a no-fault basis, so it doesn’t matter who caused or contributed to your injury.

Road users have a duty of care to each other. If they are breached, and you have sustained a serious injury, you may be entitled to pursue compensation for your pain and suffering, and loss of income.

Medical and related expenses may include things like:

  • Medical services
  • Hospital services
  • Rehabilitation services
  • Ambulance services
  • Nursing services
  • Physiotherapy, chiropractic, osteopathy treatment
  • Medication
  • Equipment
  • Psychological/psychiatric services
  • Counselling
  • Household/home help services such as cleaning and gardening
  • Accommodation support
  • Travel expenses and
  • Funeral expenses.

What to do if you think you have a claim:

  1. Report the accident to the police or public transport operator
  2. Take down the details of the other driver
  3. Take down details of any witnesses to your accident / injury
  4. Take photographs of the damage to all vehicles involved in the accident on your smart phone
  5. If you can, take photos of your location, the resting position of all vehicles involved in the accident and your surrounds
  6. Contact the TAC to lodge a claim for any injuries you have sustained in the accident
  7. Make a free appointment with one of our TAC lawyers so you get expert advice on what your entitlements are – obligation free.

Why do I need a lawyer after my car accident (or other transport accident)?

Applying for compensation through the TAC can be complex. Some TAC claims can seem straightforward, others - not.

The claims process can be frustrating and difficult to navigate on your own. It is incredibly valuable to have an expert personal injury lawyer on your side.

At Gordon Legal, our TAC lawyers are highly experienced with these claims for compensation and can guide you through any questions you may have about your claim, and, of course, ensure you achieve the best compensation outcome you can possibly achieve.

We can also explain to you the potential benefits available to you through the TAC’s No-Fault scheme, which can support you financially through your recovery, and compensate you beyond.

How do I lodge my claim?

If you were taken to hospital for an injury following a transport accident, the hospital may have completed and lodged a claim on your behalf. If you signed a claim form then you can expect that your TAC claim has been lodged by the hospital and submitted to the TAC.

If you were not taken to hospital or did not fill out a claim form, you can make your TAC Claim by contacting the TAC directly on 1300 654 329, which incurs local call costs, or on 1800 332 556, which is a toll free number for anyone outside the Melbourne metropolitan area.

Other FAQs

What is the TAC?

The Transport Accident Commission or TAC is the Victorian state government body responsible for managing injury claims made by people who have sustained an injury as a result of a motor car, motorcycle, bus, train, tram or pedestrian accident in Victoria.

Who can make a TAC claim?

If you have sustained an injury due to a car or transport accident, then you may be entitled to receive benefits from the TAC either covering the entirety of your medical costs or, at least, some of the ongoing support you require to help you recover.

What compensation am I entitled to?

If your claim is accepted, the TAC can provide compensation for your injuries. Compensation may be in the form of reimbursements for reasonable medical expenses, and payments for any time off work you need as a result of your injury. You may also be able to claim a lump sum payment as compensation if you have suffered a permanent injury.

The TAC also pays compensation if someone dies as a result of a road accident.

If you were admitted to hospital as a result of your road accident, or if your accident occurred after 14 February 2018, the TAC will cover your reasonable medical and related expenses immediately.

Why should I lodge a TAC claim?

We understand that being involved in a road or transport accident is extremely traumatic. If you have sustained an injury, an accepted TAC claim will mean you are entitled to claim important compensation for your injury.

By lodging a TAC claim, you are starting the process towards receiving important payments - payments that are often vital for getting your life back on track and getting the crucial treatment you may require.

What happens after I lodge my TAC claim?

You’ll be sent a Claim for Compensation Summary and any relevant forms, such as an Authority to Release Information form by the TAC. You should complete the form and return it as soon as possible to avoid any delays in your claim being accepted.   

The TAC will decide to accept, deny, or seek further information for your claim within 21 days of receiving it.

If you have any questions relating to a car accident or any road accident and want to speak to one of our TAC Lawyers, call us anytime on 1800 21 22 23 or log on to our website at

Road accident experts

Jenny Forti
Jenny Forti
Principal Lawyer
Jenny Forti
Principal Lawyer

Jenny is an accredited specialist in personal injury law. She is dedicated to representing injured people in their fight to access compensation.

Jenny is committed to upholding the values of the union movement and applies her legal skills to the wider community through her role as a volunteer lawyer at West Justice.

In December 2018, Jenny was appointed to the Western Health Foundation Board. She is a passionate supporter of the mighty Western Bulldogs.

Anastasia Eleftheriou
Anastasia Eleftheriou
Principal Lawyer
Anastasia Eleftheriou
Principal Lawyer

Anastasia is an accredited specialist in personal injury law. She has 10 years’ experience in Workers’ Compensation fighting for the rights of injured workers against large companies and insurers. She has also acted for people injured in motor vehicle accidents as well as in public and private premises.
Anastasia has served as a committee member of the Victorian Branch for the Australian Lawyers Alliance.

Sheri Carolan
Sheri Carolan
Principal Lawyer
Sheri Carolan
Principal Lawyer

Sheri is an Accredited Specialist in personal injury law, with particular expertise in medical negligence, civil liability and workers compensation claims. She has experience acting in complex claims for seriously injured people across various areas of personal injury law. Sheri brings a strong understanding of regional NSW, hailing from Dubbo where she remains an active member of the community. She has won a number of professional awards, including the NSW Young Business Executive of the Year in 2017.

Related articles

Rory’s law: improving rights for cyclists on Victoria’s roads

Rory’s law: improving rights for cyclists in Victoria Cyclists are particularly vulnerable on our roads, however in 2018, a Victorian farmer used his own tragic cycling accident to campaign for an important change in Victorian law which renders all cyclists ... Read more

No horsing around with TAC compensation

No horsing around with TAC compensation While horses may have been the main cause of road injuries and deaths in the 1800’s, most of the Transport Accident Commission’s (TAC) compensation claims now come from motor vehicles, public transport and road ... Read more

TAC compensation payments bringing justice to Frank

TAC compensation payments bringing justice to Frank Applying for compensation through the TAC can be complex. Some TAC claims can seem straightforward, but when there is a serious injury involved, it is incredibly valuable to have an expert personal ... Read more

We are here to help

When you’re ready, give us a call or click on the button below to send us a message. It will go straight to a caring and committed member of our team who will contact you within 24 hours.

Call 1800 21 22 23

contact us
Map of Melbourne office location


Level 22/181 William Street
Melbourne Vic, 3000 Australia
1300 59 95 17
Get directions
Map of Geelong office location


183 Moorabool Street
Geelong Vic, 3220 Australia
(03) 5225 1600
Get directions
Map of Sydney office location


Level 6, 111 Elizabeth Street
Sydney NSW, 2000 Australia
1300 59 95 17
Get directions
Map of Dubbo office location


2/211 Macquarie Street
Dubbo NSW, 2830 Australia
02 6800 1172
Get directions